Friday, October 26, 2012

You Old Bag

I have been visiting mom once or twice a week.  I talk to dad every morning and night and see him about once a week.  Sunday, I usually visit him in the morning and mom in the afternoon.  Mom is definitely losing her language and any memories but she still will read primary board books and signs.  She enjoys sweets and still feeds herself but doesn't mind being helped out.  She asks about grandma or ma and I say that I just talked to her on the phone and she is doing fine.  She seems relieved to hear that news.
This week, when I visited, I brought treats as usual.  She really likes my homemade cranberry muffins.  She gives it a quizzical look takes a bite and her eyes light up and you can tell she is enjoying it. She really loves ice cream.  A week ago, Ken stopped into to see her and was trying to get her to go for a walk.  As she passed the snack tray, she reached out for an ice cream cup.  She didn't want to let go of his hand but she didn't want to miss the ice cream.  When he stopped, she quickly took off the top of the ice cream.  He said the walk was postponed until the ice cream was gone.
I went to see her on Wednesday and she saw me coming through the window of the door! She waved her arm calling me.  We talked a bit and then I got her up to go for a walk.  We were cruising down the hall and I said, "Mom, I love you." She responded by stopping and hugging me and saying, "I love you too.  You Old Bag."   Now that made me chuckle!! She said it like she was talking to one of her best friends.  When I told dad he said, "That sounds like her."  Mom liked to call us kids "You Bratty" and call her friends "Old Bag" in a humorous, joking way.  It was a priceless visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment